An option that is not offered by a lot of companies is a bow sight with a crosshair displayed in the sight window.
These types of sights are also sometimes referred to as reticle bow sights and they may appeal greatly to rifle shooters who have recently transitioned over to bow hunting.
This is something that is virtually the norm when it comes to rifle scopes and should work quite well for bow hunters too.
A single crosshair will provide the bow hunter with an intersection of the horizontal and vertical planes and where they cross should be placed over the center of the target.
You might also find a multiple-range crosshair sight with the top crosshair providing you with the “zero” mark and the others offering subsequent longer ranges (30, 40, 50 yards etc.)
Listed below is a selection of bow sights with crosshair target systems instead of (or in one case, as well as) the standard sight pins.
A Selection of Crosshair Bow Sights
Make / Model
Description of Crosshair Bow Sights
The brief comparison list above provides some of the basic specifications about each of the bow sights that may be considered among the best value for money on the market. We will now take a more in-depth look at each bow sight, listing their features as well as what you can expect if you were to purchase one.
Apex Gear Covert Pro Bow Sight
Features of the Covert Pro According to the Company
- Ultra–smooth easy one–hand adjustments.
- Includes over 120 pre–marked yardage tapes to simplify setup.
- GRAVITY–LINE™ rotational adjustment aligns pin movement with gravity.
- Rear–facing, easy–to–see yardage tape location.
- Tactile push–button brightness control.
- Perfect for any light condition.
- Adjustable 2nd and 3rd axis.
- Quick and easy setup.
- Improved adjustable yardage pointer and end–of–travel elevation stop.
- Adjustable for left and right-handed users.
- Approximately 700–hour battery life.
- Automatically turns off after 4 hours without adjustment.
- AG2301GB - 1 adjustable green LED.
- AG2302GB - 2 adjustable green and red LED.
- AG2301BD - 1 adjustable green LED - Detachable bracket.
This bow sight uses a riflescope-style reticle instead of sight pins that assists with acquiring the target.
The sight features an illuminated dot that is micro-adjustable with both second and third degree adjustments which can be controlled using a gear-drive elevation control.
It uses a rear facing yardage tape that will allow you to adjust for shots out to 120 yards. It uses the PWR-DOT rather than a single pin and there are 11 levels of green illumination to choose from so that all light conditions are catered to.
The sight is also available in a 2-dot model which includes a red dot as well as the original green dot.
The sight has been released by the company at around the $220 mark.
TruGlo Range Rover Pro 2 Bow Sight
Features of the Range Rover Pro According to the Company
- PWR•DOT™ technology uses an LED illumination system inside the lens instead of a conventional pin
- ZERO–IN™ adjustment dial with over 80 pre–marked yardage tapes (included) for simple setup
- Black reference circle with lighted center dot for superior long distance accuracy
- Adjustable green and red LED with 11 brightness settings (3V–CR2032 battery included)
- Micro–adjustable windage – precision click design
- Toolless yardage and windage lock
- Sight housing accepts 1.87 in. scope lens (sold separately)
- Adjustable end–of–travel stop customizes maximum yardage setting
- Laser engraved reference markings for windage and elevation adjustments
- Adjustable for left and right–handed shooters
- Adjustable quiver mount included
- Lens cover included
- Updated bracket design for increased compatibility with more bow models
The Range Rover Pro features PWR-DOT technology that provides a highly visible dot that is adjustable for both targeting and visibility.
The 2 dot model uses a crosshair targeting reticle in the sight window that helps to bring your target into accurate focus. The Zero-In technology means it can be micro-adjusted for elevation with a smooth dial.
The LED appears as either green or red to cater for all levels of eye capabilities and offers 11 different brightness settings.
The sight has been given an MSRP of $229.99.
Axcel AV-31 Plus Scope
Features of the AV31 Plus According to the Company
- 31mm diameter
- "T"-Connector & Stainless #10-32 Rod
- Rheostat Cover
- Torque Indicator
- Available in Black, Blue, Green, Orange, Purple, and Red
Owners of an Axcel bow sight who are looking for crosshairs to assist their accuracy will be very pleased with the AV31 Plus scope.
It is designed with a diameter of 31mm (a 41mm version - the AV-41 - is also available) and has an easy to see crosshair insert.
Visibility is enhanced by the adjustable fiber cover rheostat and accuracy assistance comes from the built-in in-line sight bubble and torque ring indicator.
The scope has a T-bar connection threaded rod for simple assembly and the Axcel pins will all fit.
Spot Hogg Hunter Bow Sight
Features of the Spot Hogg Hunter According to the Company
- MRT Pin Guard
- Self Locking Gang Micro-Adjust
- Micro Adjustable 2nd & 3rd Axis
- Solid 6061 Aluminum Constructions and fiber protection
By the strict definition of a scope crosshair the Spot Hogg sights are not truly crosshair sights. But they employ a fine vertical line down the center of the sight window that intersects with the sight pins to form a type of crosshair.
The Hunter is a good quality bow sight that is available in either a 3-pin, 5-pin or 7-pin configuration. The sight housing is made from 6061 aluminum that provides protection for the fibers.
It is micro-adjustable on the second and third axis and employs a self-locking gang micro-adjust process.
You get the benefits of a crosshair targeting system rolled up into the ultra-tough and reliable Spot Hogg bow sight.
Sight Master Elite Micro II Bow Sight
Features of the Elite Micro II According to the Company
- Easy Windage Adjustment.
- Shorter radius for high performance bows allows for a smaller, more compact sight.
- Starburst 2XL Fiber Optic Scope with fiber optics by Truglo. Features the best and brightest in fiber optics. Non-glare polycarbonate scope with black ring lets in more light, bottom mounted sight pin, cross hairs and bubble Level.
- Elevation micro-adjust with a brass lock-down knob for the yardage arm.
- 1 7/8" vertical travel
- Wear-free brass and stainless steel bushings.
- Bubble level on a clear polycarbonate scope ring.
- Individual yardage markers (extras included).
- Seven-Position Scope Plate remains in the vertical plane at all times.
- Precision machined aluminum frame with brass offsets for mounting a quiver.
The Sight Master bow sights are not as well known as some of the other brands but is acknowledged by bow hunters as an extremely reliable and accurate line of sights.
This is designed as an easy to adjust scope that is both light and compact. It is advertised by the company as the ‘One Touch One Sight’ adjustable bow sight.
It incorporates fiber optics by TruGlo into the 2XL fiber optic scope that also features an easy to see crosshair overlay.
This particular model has included an easy windage adjustment with 1-7/8” of vertical travel.
For shooters who are looking for a solidly built bow sight that features a crosshair sight window, the Elite Micro II provides a worthwhile option at a very reasonable price.
Benefits of Using Crosshair Sights
Some shooters prefer crosshair sights because they help to quickly find the central point and can promote more accurate shooting.
There is an argument that the existence of the crosshairs can clutter up the sight window with unnecessary “noise” but over extended use their presence becomes more of a help than a hindrance.
These types of sights are most useful when shooting larger targets where it will not obscure what you’re aiming at. The intersection of the lines will help to focus your aim more narrowly.
There are some good reasons for using a sight with crosshairs and while there are a few options available, the field is very narrow. Fortunately, the choices that are available have been given predominately positive reviews and there are affordable options available.
Whether you simply opt for a scope overlay that will fit neatly into your existing favorite sight or buy the complete package, if your eyes prefer the visibility of crosshairs you should be well catered to.